Monday, May 08, 2006

Just what we need...another "-ism"

Andrew Sullivan, over at his blog at Time, attacks the religious right for making Christianity a political movement. This Christian political movement should be called "Christianism", so that he can now hate something that is separated from the Christian faith. What he seems to be saying is that people should take their faith seriously, but it shouldn't have an impact on their politics. Huh? Here's his closing paragraph:

I dissent from the political pollution of sincere, personal faith. I dissent most strongly from the attempt to argue that one party represents God and that the other doesn't. I dissent from having my faith co-opted and wielded by people whose politics I do not share and whose intolerance I abhor. The word Christian belongs to no political party. It's time the quiet majority of believers took it back.

I agree with him that God doesn't back a particular party, BUT I would argue that God, for example, is absolutely pro-life...and that the Democrats are not very welcoming to such a position, while the Republicans are....so, it's not that God is a Republican, but that the Republican stance on that specific issue is more in line with the will of God. Sullivan thinks that is intolerant. So be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


Google